RV Cirolana CIR4/02
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||2002-07-26 — 2002-08-03|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||This cruise is in two parts. The aims are:
1. To sample NMMP 345, using the multicorer, for meiofauna and PSA.
2. To conduct sampling at a relinquished marine aggregate extraction site at Coal Pit/Sole Pit (Area 408) using trawl, underwater TV and acoustic techniques for time series studies to establish the time required for recovery of the sea bed fauna.
3. To conduct surveys at a recently relinquished aggregate extraction site off Harwich (Area 222) using grab, underwater TV, trawls and acoustic techniques for time-series studies to establish the time required for recovery of the sea bed fauna.
4. To conduct surveys at the Hastings Shingle Bank (Areas X & Y) using grab, underwater TV, trawls and acoustic techniques for time-series studies to establish the time required for recovery of the sea bed fauna.
5. To conduct a habitat mapping survey at an historic anchor dredge site off Shoreham. The survey will employ various tools including grabs, underwater TV and acoustic techniques with a view to assessing the utility of this approach for the assessment of aggregate extraction activities.
6. To carry out a broadscale habitat mapping survey between the Varne (off Dungeness) and Hastings using various acoustic techniques.
|Chief scientist||David Stephen Limpenny (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory), Keith Malcolm Cooper (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.11 MB)|
|Cruise report||(0.10 MB)|
|Specific||Cole Pit, Sole Pit, Harwich, Hastings Shingle Bank, Varne (off Dungeness)|
|Track charts||(0.07 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: Hamon grab.|
|Bottom photography||Description: drop-camera.|
|Long/short range side scan sonar|