RV Cefas Endeavour 5/03
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2003-07-25 — 2003-08-04|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To conduct sampling at a relinquished marine aggregate extraction site at Coal Pit/Sole Pit (Area 408) using trawl, underwater TV and acoustic techniques for time series studies to establish the time required for recovery of the sea bed fauna.
2. To conduct surveys at a relinquished aggregate extraction site off Harwich (Area 222) using grab, underwater TV, trawls and acoustic techniques for time-series studies to establish the time required for recovery of the sea bed fauna.
3. To conduct a habitat mapping survey between the Varne (off Dungeness) and the Hastings Shingle Bank. The survey will employ various tools including grabs, trawls, underwater TV and acoustic techniques with a view to further development of habitat mapping techniques.
4. To conduct surveys at the Hastings Shingle Bank (Areas X and Y) using grab, underwater TV, trawls and acoustic techniques for time-series studies to establish the time required for recovery of the sea bed fauna.
5. To conduct grab sampling within an area of the current Hastings Shingle Bank aggregate extraction licence with a view to identifying indicators of environmental disturbance.
6. To conduct grab sampling in the vicinity of the Hastings Shingle Bank in order to characterise a number of areas of seabed previously identified using various acoustic techniques.
|Chief scientist||Keith Malcolm Cooper (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.11 MB)|
|Cruise report||(0.27 MB)|
|Track charts||(0.22 MB)|
|Bathythermograph||Description: Bathymetric surveys carried out at Area 408 (Coal Pit/Sole Pit).|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zooplankton||Description: Epifauna collected using a Jennings 2m beam trawl.|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Bottom photography||Description: Underwater stills and video images collected using the camera sledge.|
|Multi-beam echosounding||Description: multibeam infill lines were run across the Hastings Shingle Bank.|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Quantity: number of surveys = 2|
Description: sidescan sonar surveys