RV Corystes COR14A/04
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||2004-09-08 — 2004-09-24|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Workington, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a 4m beam-trawl survey of groundfish to i) obtain fisheries independent data on the distribution and abundance of commercial flatfish species, and ii) derive age compositions of sole and plaice for use in the assessment of stock size.
2. To collect biological data including maturity and weight at age of sole, plaice, lemon sole and other commercially important finfish species.
3. To determine the distribution and relative abundance of juvenile and adult sole and plaice.
4. To quantify epibenthos using 4m beam trawl by-catch.
5. To collect surface sea-water samples for processing on return to Lowestoft for the analysis caesium and tritium.
6. To collect fecundity samples in support of plaice recruitment project.
7. To collect fish samples in support of other CEFAS projects and training courses.
|Chief scientist||Ian David Holmes (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.02 MB)|
|Cruise report||(0.13 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||Irish Sea; Bristol Channel; Western English Channel|
|Track charts||(0.10 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: Temperature and salinity taken at all stations from surface continuous water flow|
|CTD stations||Description: Temperature and salinity profile recorded at all beam trawl stations with mini CTD unit|
|Trace metals||Description: Surface water samples for tritium and caesium analysis|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytobenthos||Description: 4 m beam trawl|
|Zoobenthos||Description: 4 m beam trawl|
|Demersal fish||Description: 4 m beam trawl|
|Crustaceans||Description: 4 m beam trawl|