RRS Discovery D18
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Discovery (74E3)|
|Cruise period||1967-07-14 — 1967-08-23|
|Port of departure||Plymouth, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Plymouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. Trials of four new types of net with comparisons between these and nets previously used.
2. Trials with a bottom longline
3. Trials of two depth telemetering pingers and some new NIO shearpin hydrostatic releases.
4. Trials of the acoustic C.D.B.
5. Trials of the echorancing camera
6. Sampling off Morocco and Fuerteventura to find any marked differences in faunal composition between this and previous years.
7. Bottom longlining to investigate the bottom fish in depths of 800-1500m off Fuerteventura and to evaluate the method for further work.
8. A study of the buoyancy of marine animals.
9. A study of the eyes and photophores of fish and squid.
10. A study of the survival of fish after capture.
|Chief scientist||Malcolm R Clarke (National Institute of Oceanography)|
|Cruise report||(0.88 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Track charts||(0.02 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zooplankton||Description: Study of the Moroccan Shelf took place during the cruise. No. of hauls not noted.|
|Demersal fish||Description: A number of fish samples were collected during the cruise for later analysis. No. of sammples not noted.|
|Demersal fish||Description: Study of the Moroccan Shelf took place during the cruise. No. of hauls not noted.|
|Gear research||Description: A number of gear trials took place during this cruise. No. of trials not noted.|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Multi-beam echosounding||Description: Study of the Moroccan Shelf took place during the cruise. No. of hauls not noted.|