Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||Thalassa (35TH)|
|Cruise period||1981-11-25 — 1981-12-13|
|Objectives||The standard sites in ICES Division VIIa, VIIf and VIIg were sampled carrying out repeat hauls at several sites in these sites. 3 hauls were made south and west of the Scilly Isles and 1 off Plymouth.
1) 36 x 30 minute tows were completed in sites used in previous years. Additional hauls were made at 11 sites were repeated for comparisons. Only 1 0-group cod was caught.
2) Cod and whiting otolith samples were taken for analysis. 120 whiting otolith samples taken for Anglo-French age determination comparisons.
3) Live specimens of cod, whiting, spurdog and plaice collected.
4) Otolits taken from various species for fossil otolith comparisons.
5) Otoliths from 90 Lophius piecatorius, 2 Lophius budegaess and 20 megrims for age determination.
6) Stomach contents of 116 whiting and 105 cod from division VIIa and 40 Lophius piecatorius from divisions VIIa, VIIf and VIIg were examined.
|Chief scientist||Stephen Flatman (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.04 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: T only|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of specimens = 1|
Description: only 1 0-group cod was caught
|Demersal fish||Description: otoliths taken from various species for fossil otolith comparisons|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of specimens = 232|
Description: otolith samples taken, 120 whiting, 90 Lophius piecatorius, 2 Lophius budegaess and 20 megrims
|Demersal fish||Description: live specimens of cod, whiting, spurdog and plaice collected|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 47|
Description: 36 tows plus additional hauls at 11 repeated sites
|Demersal fish||Description: cod and whiting otolith samples were taken|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of samples = 261|
Description: stomach contents of 116 whiting, 105 cod and 40 Lophius piecatorius