RV Cefas Endeavour 19B/05
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2005-12-01 — 2005-12-13|
|Port of departure||Cork, Ireland|
|Port of return||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a trawl survey of the Irish Sea, Celtic Sea and western English Channel (ICES divisions VII a, e-j), using the modified GOV trawl with rockhopper ground gear on hard grounds and standard IBTS GOV trawl on fine grounds, as part of the west coast IBTS series and in support of the EU data regulations, to obtain information on:
a) Distribution, size composition and relative abundance of fish, cephalopods, and benthic invertebrates
b) Age-length distribution of commercial fish species for ICES WG input and biological studies
c) Biological parameters of selected species
d) Environmental parameters (including CTD profiles and sediment samples) at trawl stations
2. To tag and release specimens of spurdog Squalus acanthias, smooth-hound Mustelus spp., tope Galeorhinus galeus and greater-spotted dogfish Scyliorhinus stellaris.
3. To sample the epibenthos in ICES divisions VIIf-h with 2m beam trawl
4. To record details of surface sightings of any marine mammals, sea turtles and pelagic fish, and record observations on jellyfish aggregations
5. To undertake scallop sampling in the eastern English Channel (C2282)
6. To collect biological material in support of research projects:
a) Samples of sprat Sprattus sprattus and anchovy Engraulis encrasicolus should be collected at various sites in the survey area (where n=100 per sample) and frozen for genetic studies
b) Samples of scallop Pecten maximus should be frozen (D. Palmer, Cefas)
c) Samples of berried edible crab Cancer pagurus should be frozen (D. Eaton, Cefas)
d) Samples of a wide range of invertebrates should be preserved in ethanol for genetic studies (C. Fox, Cefas)
|Chief scientist||James Robert Ellis (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.02 MB)|
|Cruise report||(0.39 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Track charts||(0.35 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 9|
Description: 2m-beam trawls.
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 54|
Description: modified GOV with rockhopper gear.
|Taggings||Quantity: number of specimens = 154|
Description: elasmobranchs tagged with Petersen discs and released.
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of stations = 38|
Description: sediment samples collected using Shipek grab.