RV Cefas Endeavour 12/06
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2006-05-24 — 2006-06-17|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Swansea, United Kingdom|
1. To survey dredged material disposal sites at the Blyth, North Tyne, Souter Point (Tyne), Tees Bay, Inner Gabbard East (outer Thames estuary), Roughs Tower (off Harwich), South Falls, Dover, Swanage Bay and Rame Head (off Plymouth) for benthos, trace metal and organic contaminants in sediments, using grabbing and coring. At a number of sites the SPI camera and various acoustic methods will also be used.
2. To undertake sampling at the historic sewage sludge disposal site off the river Tyne using grabbing, coring and beam trawls for later analyses of macrofauna, meiofauna, epifauna, metals and organic contaminants.
3. To sample representative NMMP locations using grabbing, coring, and trawl methods. Samples will be later analysed for trace metal and organic contaminants, litter and epi-, macro- and meio- fauna.
4. To sample sediments and water at various stations in the Humber/Wash region for later analysis of macro- and meio- fauna, metals, chlorophyll a, porosity, organic contaminants, nutrients and salinity. This survey forms part of a pilot study to inform a revision of the National Marine Monitoring programme.
5. To sample horse-mussels from the Humber/Wash area for later analyses of contaminants in flesh.
6. To sample the benthos and sediments for time-series studies using the Hamon grab, in the vicinity of aggregate extraction sites off the Isle of Wight and Lowestoft.
7. To undertake surveys on the Hastings Shingle Bank and Saturn Reef in order to develop methodologies for the identification and monitoring of Sabellaria spinulosa reef. Additional surveys may also be carried out where opportunities arise.
8. To undertake acoustic surveys within an area to the south of the Isle of Wight and off Portland Bill. The purpose of this work is to identify Annex 1 habitats (offshore reefs). Any spare time following completion of this work would be used for ground-truthing (grabbing and under water TV). Both these areas border, but do not cross, the median line.
9. To undertake a broadscale spatial survey, using grabbing, under water TV and acoustic methods within sea areas 'Plymouth' and Lundy. Some stations are within Irish territorial waters and permission has been sought to undertake this work.
|Chief scientist||Keith Malcolm Cooper (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.02 MB)|
|Specific||Blyth, North Tyne, Souter Point, Tees Bay, Inner Gabbard East, Roughs Tower, South Falls, Dover, Swanage Bay, Rame Head, Isle of Wight, Humber Estuary.|