RV Cefas Endeavour 18/06
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2006-10-19 — 2006-11-01|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
1. To carry out a survey of scallops (Pecten maximus) in an area of the western English Channel (VIIe) to quantify sampling and spatial variability of scallop size and age structures in dredge catches.
2. To collect data on scallop spawning condition in order to investigate spatial variations in spawning cycles.
3. To characterise sediment types at scallop survey stations using a remote acoustic seabed discrimination system (multi-beam swathe bathymetry & QTC).
4. To collect data on fish by-catch and epibenthos in scallop dredges.
5. To collect water samples from the ships supply for the Defra funded AE001 project (Provision of Advice in Relation to Radiological Matters). Two x 25 litre carboys (for 137Cs analysis) and one x 1 litre polybottle (for 3H analysis) with seawater from the ships supply will be collected at each of 10 stations.
6. To collect and preserve samples of edible crab tissue for genetic studies.
7. To collect and preserve samples of scallop tissue for genetic studies.
|Chief scientist||Michael Timothy Smith (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.25 MB)|
|Specific||Western English Channel|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of profiles = 27|
Description: A number of CTD profiles were made over the duration of the cruise.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Molluscs||Quantity: number of hauls = 116|
Description: A scallop survey grid was finished during the cruise, despite poor weather. Catch rates were high in the east, but declined more to the west.