RV Cirolana CIR 4A_2/00
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise identifier||CIR 4A_2/00|
|Cruise period||2000-06-01 — 2000-06-10|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Swansea, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey dredged material disposal sites at the Tyne (Souter Point), Tees, South Falls, Inner Gabbard (outer Thames estuary), Nab Tower (Isle of Wight) and Swansea Bay for trace metal contaminants, TBT, PAHs and other organic contaminants and benthos (including meiofauna at the Tyne), using grab and acoustic methods.
2. To sample a transect of stations from the mouths of the Tyne and Tees estuaries to nearby dredged material disposal sites, and from the Solent to the Nab Tower disposal site, for later analysis of TBT in sediments.
3. To sample representative offshore NMMP locations using grab, core and trawl for trace metal contaminants, PAHs and other organic contaminants (including nonylphenols, flame retardants and HCs) and the benthic fauna.
4. To sample surface waters at representative offshore and intermediate NMMP locations for nutrients and chlorophyll and for phytoplankton species.
5. To investigate areas of fine sediment in the E English Channel for possible location of an additional NMMP station.
6. To conduct surveys at aggregate extraction sites off the Isle of Wight and Lowestoft using grab, trawl and acoustic techniques.
7. To conduct pilot sampling at gravelly locations following cessation of aggregate dredging.
8. To conduct follow-up sea-bed sampling in connection with the mapping of gravelly habitats in the English Channel.
9. To carry out sampling at a selection of stations previously worked as part of the ICES 1986 North Sea Benthos
NB: This cruise is in two parts
|Chief scientist||David Stephen Limpenny (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.64 MB)|
|Specific||Souter Point, Tees, South Falls, Inner Gabbard, Nab Tower, Swansea Bay|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: number of track lines = 1|
Description: continuous logging of data throughout the cruise,
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 4|
Description: two using the 2m Beam trawl and two using the 3m Beam trawl.
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of stations = 85|
Description: Day grabs and Hamon grabs
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of image series = 2|
Description: trial of a new digital camera using the 'drop'camera frame.
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of deployments = 8|
Description: camera dips using video and the digital stills system were carried out between Dungeness and Hastings.