Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||Ina-K (74IK)|
|Cruise period||2006-11-10 — 2006-11-21|
|Port of departure||Leigh-on-Sea, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Leigh-on-Sea, United Kingdom|
1. To assess the distribution and abundance of herring in the Thames Estuary using a mid-water trawl.
2. To obtain an independent estimate of the age structure and maturity of the Thames spring spawning herring stock.
3. To collect CTD data on selected stations over the estuary.
4. To collect length distributions of bass for S Walmsley.
5. To collect juvenile herring samples for C. Fox for daily growth studies.
6. To collect bass for stomach content analysis.
The scientific staff travelled to Leigh-on-Sea on 9th November and joined INA-K at 0300 h the next day. For the first 5days of the survey INA-K worked out of Leigh-on-Sea and, from there, surveyed Margate Roads, the Barrows, Princes Channel, the Kentish Flats and the Oaze. After putting the scientific staff ashore at Leigh-on-Sea on the evening of the 14th, K. Knapp took the INA-K around to dock in Wallasea Marina on the River Crouch. The INA-K then proceeded to work out of Wallasea for the following two days surveying in the River Blackwater, the Middle Deeps, Swire Hole, the River Crouch and the River Roach. The INA-K returned to Leigh-on-sea on the evening of the 17th and worked out of here for the remaining four days of the survey. During these final four days Blyth sands, The Warp, the Nore, The Swin, West Barrows and Stangate Creek were surveyed. The survey finished on the evening of the 11th day, with poor weather conditions expected for the following morning.
|Chief scientist||Sally A Warne (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Project||2006 Charter Programme|
|Cruise report||(0.08 MB)|
|Track charts||(0.14 MB)|
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of stations = 20|
Description: CTD samples taken on pre-selected trawl stations.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 34|
Description: Larsen sprat trawl