RV Cirolana CIR3A/02
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||2002-05-30 — 2002-06-15|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Swansea, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey dredged material disposal sites at the Souter Point (Tyne), North Tyne
(Tyne), Tees Bay, Inner Gabbard (outer Thames estuary), Roughs Tower (off
Harwich), Nab Tower (Isle of Wight), and Rame Head (off Plymouth) for trace
metal contaminants, TBT, PAHs, PCB's and other organic contaminants and
benthos, using grab, corers and acoustic methods.
2. To sample representative NMMP locations using grab, core and trawl for trace
metal-contaminants, PAHs and other organic contaminants, litter and the benthic
3. To sample surface waters at representative offshore and intermediate NMMP
locations for nutrients, chlorophyll and for phytoplankton species.
4. To sample the benthos and sediments for time-series studies using the Hamon grab in the vicinity of aggregate extraction sites off the Isle of Wight and Lowestoft.
5. To conduct time-series studies at gravelly locations following cessation of
6. To sample horse-mussels fiom the Humber/Wash area for later analyses of
contaminants in flesh.
7. To sample the sediments and benthos off the Tyne for time-series studies using
grab, core and beam trawl and continuation of sampling within a temporal box.
8. To carry out sampling at a selection of stations previously worked as part of the
ICES 1986 North Sea Benthos Survey.
9. To conduct habitat mapping surveys at a range of sites impacted by anthropogenic activities including scallop dredging disturbance (off Falmouth), disposal of dredged material and aggregate extraction.
|Chief scientist||David Stephen Limpenny (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.54 MB)|
|Suspended matter||Description: surface water samples|
|Contaminants in organisms||Description: macrofauna, meiofauna and sediment|
|Other contaminant measurements||Description: macrofauna, meiofauna and sediment|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Description: contaminant study, macro- and meiofauna|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: macrofauna, meiofauna and sediment|
|Bottom photography||Description: video images of some surveyed locations|
|Multi-beam echosounding||Description: acoustic survey to determine material movement|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Description: habitat mapping|