RV Corella 8/69
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corella (74CX)|
|Cruise period||1969-04-24 — 1969-05-05|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out routine sampling of turbot and brill in the
Middle North Sea.
2. To bring back live turbot and brill for laboratory experiments
on the incubation and rearing of eggs and larvae.
3. To assess the feasibility of using gill nets and long lines for
the capture of turbot.
4. To carry out artificial fertilization at sea, returning fertilized
eggs live to the laboratory.
5. Primary production: To determine whether exponential growth can
be maintained in a bottle using natural daylight instead of artificial light.
6. To collect live mature dover soles for Mr. Thacker.
7. To oollect young flatfish of all species and return live for Mr Birkett.
8. To collect live echinoderms for Mr. Lockwood.
9. To carry out routine sampling of plaice and dabs for Mr. Bannister and Mr. C. Lee respectively.
|Chief scientist||A Jones (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.18 MB)|
|Specific||Cleaver Bank, Tail End, Turbot Bank, outer Horn Reef, Pits and Middle Shoal area, Mablethorpe grounds, Jim Howe's Bank|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of specimens = 30|
Description: 15 turbot and 15 brill were returned live to the laboratory for experiments on the incubation and rearing of eggs and larvae
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of specimens = 20|
Description: Dover soles from the Mablethorpe ground were returned live to the laboratory
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of stations = 51|
Description: Trawling stations, duration of tow 1 1/2 hours except for Mablethorpe area where it was 1 hour
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of specimens = 89|
Description: 15 turbot and 74 brill caught. 15 turbot and 15 brill were returned live to the laboratory