FRV Mara 5/73
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Mara (74MR)|
|Cruise period||1973-05-14 — 1973-06-08|
|Objectives||1) Installation and testing of new instrument system and data-logging equiptment
2) Joint operation with FRV ''Clupea'' to determine noise output of demersal seine net, and the use of acoustic pingers to determine change in shape of seine net ropes during fishing
3) Observation, recording and photography by divers of the behaviour of flatfish during the process of demeral seining
4) Sampling of fish in front of the seine net in order to assess physiological condition of fish at various stages of capture
5) A vinge trawl fitted with diverters will be tried to assess correctness of design prior to further work on seine net cruise in Septmenber/October
6) Muscle samples of flatfish were taken immediately on return to ''Mara'' and stored in dry ice, and analysed for glycogen and lactate within 24 hours.
Due to a hold up in the fitting of the hydraullic power arm to FRV ''Mara,'' no work with the vinge trawl and diverters was undertaken.
|Chief scientist||C C Hemmings (Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.11 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: Fish behavioural studies during the process of demersal seining.|