RV Cefas Endeavour 19/08
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2008-11-05 — 2008-12-07|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
1. To carry out a trawl survey of the Irish Sea, Celtic Sea and western English Channel (ICES divisions VII a, e-j), using the modified GOV trawl with rockhopper ground gear on hard grounds and standard IBTS GOV trawl on fine grounds, as part of the west coast IBTS series and in support of the EU data regulations, to obtain information on:
(a) Distribution, size composition and relative abundance of fish, shellfish, cephalopods, and benthic invertebrates
(b) Age-length distribution of commercial fish species for ICES WG input and biological studies
(c) Biological parameters of selected species (including gonadosomatic index for cod 40-70 cm)
(d) Presence of litter
(e) Environmental parameters (including CTD profiles and sediment samples) at trawl stations.
2. To take photographs of maturity stages of those fish species subject to biological sampling.
3. To undertake trawl sampling in the North Devon voluntary closed skate area north of Lundy.
4. To undertake comparative trawl sampling with DARD.
5. To tag and release specimens of spurdog Squalus acanthias, smooth-hound Mustelus spp., tope Galeorhinus galeus and greater-spotted dogfish Scyliorhinus stellaris.
6. To collect fishery acoustics information.
7. To record details of surface sightings of any marine mammals, sea turtles and pelagic fish, and record observations on jellyfish aggregations.
8. To sample the epibenthos with 2m beam trawl and collect samples of marine invertebrates for genetic studies.
9. To collect tissue samples and extra biological information from smoothhounds Mustelus spp.
10. To collect tissue samples from skates (Rajidae), spurdog (Squalus acanthias) and cod (Gadus morhua) for genetic analyses.
11. To collect the valves of scallop Pecten maximus.
|Chief scientist||James Robert Ellis (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Project||Irish/Celtic Sea Groundfish Survey|
|Cruise programme||(0.01 MB)|
|Cruise report||(0.58 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||Irish Sea; Celtic Sea; English Channel|