FRV Scotia 0508S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2008-05-06 — 2008-05-25|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
1. To perform hydrographic surveys along the JONSIS standard section in the northern North Sea.
2. To deploy two current meter moorings in the Fair Isle Channel.
3. To recover two current meter moorings E of Shetland.
4. To perform CTD hydrographic surveys E of Shetland.
5. To perform hydrographic surveys along the standard Faroe Shetland Channel sections.
6. To service two ADCP moorings in the Faroe Shetland Channel.
7. To take core samples for deep-sea sediment carbon cycling in the Faroe Shetland Channel.
8. To recover and redeploy an ADCP mooring on the Wyville-Thomson Ridge.
9. To carry out a CTD survey on the Wyville-Thomson Ridge.
10. To carry out a CTD survey on Rosemary Bank.
11. To carry out a CTD survey along the shelf edge.
Scotia sailed from Aberdeen at 1130 (all times are GMT) on Tuesday 6 May for the start of the JONSIS standard section. On route test dips of the 911+ CTD were performed to test the CTD crane and CTD instrumentation and for crew familiarisation of the CTD crane operation. CTD measurements and water sampling commenced at the JONSIS section at 0242 on 7 May. The section was completed at 1514 on Wednesday 7 May (Stns.147-158).
Scotia then proceeded to the Fair Isle Channel to deploy two current meter moorings. These moorings were deployed at 1657 (5928.33 N 00201.79 W) and 1847 (5943.39 N 00141.53 W) on Wednesday 7 May. Following this Scotia made passage to the start of the most southerly (600.00 N) of three CTD sections, East of Shetland. East Shetland section 1 commenced at 2127 on Wednesday 7 May and was completed at 0912 on Thursday 8 May (Stns.159-169) and this was followed by East Shetland section 2 commencing at 1220 and finishing at 2350 on Thursday 8 May (170-180). Passage was then made to Lerwick to allow a FRS staff member to depart for Aberdeen.
|Chief scientist||George Slesser (Fisheries Research Services Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.06 MB)|
|Cruise report||(0.03 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Northern North Sea, Faroe Shetland Channel; Fair Isle Channel; Wyville-Thomson Ridge.|
|Data held at BODC||Get data|
|29 CTD frame plus rosette sampler||Phosphate concentration parameters in the water column|
Silicate concentration parameters in the water column
Ammonium and ammonia concentration parameters in water bodies
Phaeopigment concentrations in the water column
Nitrate concentration parameters in the water column
Chlorophyll pigment concentrations in water bodies
|1 Instrument mooring|