Lord Nelson LN684
Cruise summary report
|Ship name||Lord Nelson|
|Cruise period||2008-01-21 — 2008-01-28|
|Port of departure||Las Palmas, Spain|
|Port of return||Las Palmas, Spain|
1. To investigate phytoplankton and zooplankton communities and stratification of the surface waters of the deep Atlantic in the area of the Canary Islands
2. To study the response of natural phytoplankton communities to elevated levels of carbon dioxide.
3. To carry out observations on cetacean distribution.
4. To investigate the biological agents of methanogenesis in surface waters
5. To observe the underwater acoustic characteristics of the ship's hull under different sail regimes
As well as these objectives if was intended that this cruise would investigate the logistics of carrying out scientific research under sail in tall ships.
|Chief scientist||John W Patching (National University of Ireland Galway Department of Microbiology)|
|Cruise report||(1.84 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Specific||Atlantic Ocean south of the Canary Isles|
|Track charts||(0.12 MB)|