RV Cirolana CIR5/73
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1973-05-25 — 1973-06-20|
|Port of departure||Immingham, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey the distribution of fish in the Bear Island-Spitsbergen-Hope
Island area using acoustic techniques and midwater and bottom trawls.
2. To measure the water transport between north Norway and Bear Island by
means of a moored current meter array and hydrographic sampling.
3. To monitor phytoplankton continuously and to sample flagellates in the area.
4. To test the SAT-NAV system in high latitudes.
5. To collect 20 live specimens of Lithodes maja for Professor Laverack (St Andrews University).
6. To collect 100 cod for Mr Platt (IMER).
7. To collect flatfish tissue for Dr Birley (Birmingham University).
|Chief scientist||Arthur J Lee (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.29 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: S only|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 58|
|Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements||Quantity: number of stations = 58|
Description: S only
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 4|
Description: 15 days
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 44|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 21|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 21|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: deep scattering layers|
|Occasional standard measurements|
|Other meteorological measurements||Description: sea and swell|