FV Jo's Boys Young Fish Survey 1986
Cruise summary report
|Ship name||FV Jo's Boys|
|Cruise identifier||Young Fish Survey 1986|
|Cruise period||1986-09-01 — 1986-09-02|
|Port of departure||Dungeness, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Dungeness, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||Beam trawling in the area Dymchurch to Camber. Push net sites sampled throughout.
Young Fish Survey 1986 with: FV Alvic, FV Avon Valley, FV Challenge, FV Jo's Boys, FV Serenity, FV St Richard, FV Joanna J., FV Kimbill of Eden and FV Sharowna.
1. To carry out an inshore beam trawl and push net survey of part of the North Sea and English Channel coasts of young demersal fish in relation to the environment. To include collecting data for juvenile flatfish yearclass size estimation.
2. To continue studies of growth and mortality of young sole in the areas off Lowestoft and Rye Bay.
3. To carry out a beam trawl survey of gravel extraction grounds east of the Isle of Wight. (For AEP2)
1. In total in the Young Fish Survey. 313 hauls made using the standard 2m beam trawl and 52 push net sites using the standard 1.5m push net sampled. All fish caught identified and measured. Salinity and sediment samples collected and surface temperature, benthos, shrimp by-catch and dissolved oxygen (River Thames) observed at each station.
2. Lowestoft and Rye Bay. Detailed survey of the distribution and abundance of 0-group sole. Live 0-group sole were held in tanks for 24 hours then deep frozen for laboratory estimation of condition factors. Samples of 0-group sole collected for total lipid content analysis. Samples of 0-group sole and plaice collected for morphometric studies.
3. 26 beam trawl hauls were made in 5 gravel extraction areas east of the Isle of Wight. All fish caught were identified and measured and observations of benthos were recorded for each station.
|Chief scientist||Colin L Whiting (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.09 MB)|
|Specific||Scottish Border-Swanage Bay Dymchurch to Camber|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: observations made at every station|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Biochemical measurements (eg lipids, amino acids)||Description: samples of 0-group sole collected for total lipid content analysis|
|Phytobenthos||Description: observations made at every station|
|Zoobenthos||Description: observations made at every station|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 52|
Description: (in total throughout Young Fish Survey) push net of Dymchurch to Camber
|Demersal fish||Description: 0-group sole and plaice for morphometric studies|
|Demersal fish||Description: deep frozen sole|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 313|
Description: (in total throughout Young Fish Survey) beam trawl survey of Dymchurch to Camber
|Crustaceans||Description: by-catch of shrimp recorded at each station|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: distribution and abundance of 0-group sole|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: observations made at every station|