RV Cefas Endeavour 13/09
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2009-09-09 — 2009-10-01|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Swansea, United Kingdom|
1. To carry out a 4m beam-trawl survey of groundfish to obtain fisheries independent data on the distribution and abundance of commercial flatfish species, and ii) derive age compositions of sole, plaice, cod and whiting for use in the assessments of stock size.
2. To collect biological data including maturity and weight at age of sole, plaice, lemon sole and other commercially important finfish species as part of Cefas' requirements under the EU Data Collection Framework.
3. To determine the distribution and relative abundance of juvenile and adult sole and plaice.
4. To collect surface and bottom temperature and salinity data using CTD rosette and Niskin Bottle.
5. To quantify epibenthos using 4m beam trawl by-catch.
6. To collect length, weight & maturity information, using individual fish measurements, in support of the EU Data Collection Framework.
7. To collect surface seawater samples for processing on return to Lowestoft for the analysis of tritium.
8. To collect fish samples in support of other Cefas projects and training courses.
9. To collect photographic images of sole, plaice and dab gonads for the Workshop on Maturity Staging of Sole, Plaice, Dab and Flounder.
10. To collect jellyfish distribution and associated individual measurements.
|Chief scientist||Ian David Holmes (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.07 MB)|
|Cruise report||(1.47 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Specific||Irish Sea & Bristol Channel|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: Temperature & salinity taken at all stations from surface continuous seawater flow|
|CTD stations||Description: Temperature & salinity profile recorded at all beam trawl stations with mini CTD unit|
|CTD stations||Description: Temperature & salinity profile recorded at each Niskin station using Micro CTD unit|
|Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements||Description: Temperature & salinity taken at selected stations from Niskin sea-bed water sampler|