RV Corella 11/75
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corella (74CX)|
|Cruise period||1975-07-10 — 1975-07-24|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To continue the examination of the distribution of radio-caesium in coastal waters of the British Isles following increased rates of discharge from BNFL Windscale, Cumbria, in 1974.
2. To examine the distribution of plutonium and cerum-144 in seawater of the Irish Sea and its approaches for comparison with the distribution of radiocaesium.
3. To record the gamma count rate, in a selected energy range, from seawater of the Irish Sea.
4. To attempt to collect samples of suspended material close to the seabed in the vicinity of BNFL Windscale.
5. To collect samples of seabed in the North East Irish Sea.
6. To collect seawater samples from the Irish Sea for the analysis of total mercury.
|Chief scientist||Douglas F Jefferies (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.34 MB)|
Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 128|
Description: surface and on 47 stations at depth
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of stations = 128|
Description: samples for caesium, plutonium and cerium
|Radioactivity||Description: Continuous operation of gamma-probe in surface seawater (for Cs-137)|
|Trace metals||Quantity: number of stations = 8|
Description: 2.5 litre samples for mercury analysis
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of deployments = 10|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of deployments = 1|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Description: Sediment transport|