RRS Challenger CH15/76
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1976-10-07 — 1976-10-16|
|Port of departure||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The objectives of this cruise were:
(1) Re-lay the current meter mooring at 57N, 9W. Accomplished.
(2) Work the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) STD section. Accomplished.
(3) Recover two IOS deep-sea moorings. Accomplished.
(4) Drag for the IOS mooring lost in a deployment accident on CH12/76. Unsuccessful.
(5) Calibrate the 2-component EM-log. Not possible due to loss of mooring spar buoy radar reflector.
(6) Take continuous surface temperature and salinity measurements using an STD in a bucket. Accomplished.
(7) Temperature and salinity profiling using batfish, STD, CTD and STD in the vicinity of IOS moorings J1 and J2. Significant progress made, but limited due to mechanical problems with the batfish and XBT recorder.
(8) Collect large-volume surface water samples on the Scottish shelf for radiocaesium analysis. Accomplished.
|Chief scientist||Roy Bowers (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.26 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: number of measurements = 21|
Description: 15 S surface 6 T surface
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 17|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 18|
|Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 3|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 5445|
Description: 6x62d + 2x61d
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
|Routine standard measurements||Description: (syn.hours)|
|Geology and geophysics|