FRV Scotia 1815S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2015-12-10 — 2015-12-22|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
1. Test the CTD in the Buchan Deep off Peterhead and test plankton crane, winch system and ARIES at an appropriate location before its first use.
2. Perform routine hydrographic sampling at stations along the long term monitoring JONSIS section in the northern North Sea.
3. Perform routine hydrographic sampling at stations along the long term monitoring Faroe-Shetland Channel sections: Fair Isle-Munken and Nolso-Flugga.
4. Conduct combined plankton/hydrographic observations by deploying Aries in the Faroe-Shetland-Channel at selected stations on the Fair Isle-Munken and Nolso-Flugga lines.
5. Take nutrient, chlorophyll, TA/DIC, oxygen samples along all standard lines.
6. Take oxygen isotope samples along the Faroe-Shetland-Channel sections.
7. Take water samples for bacterial analysis by Heriot Watt University at locations along the long term monitoring sections.
8. Take water samples to investigate the formation of Marine Oil Snow in incubations with Schehallion crude oil by Heriot Watt University along the long term monitoring sections.
9. Run the thermosalinograph throughout.
10. Run the pCO2 system throughout.
11. If time, conduct sampling along any of the following sections (in order of priority, no water sampling)
Shelf 0, Shelf 1, Fair Isle N-S, NS-1;
FCW/NWZ, Shelf 2;
WS-1, Fair Isle E-W, ES-1, ES-2, ES-3, WS-2;
12. If sheltering in a suitable location (around Shetland, Orkney and Pentland Firth) due to bad weather conduct VMADP survey.
|Chief scientist||Berit Rabe (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.24 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Northern North Sea, Faroe-Shetland Channel.|
|Track charts||(00 MB)|