FRV Scotia 0516S
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2016-04-24 — 2016-05-04|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
1. Test the CTD in the Buchan Deep off Peterhead.
2. Deploy two moorings in the Moray Firth (on trawlproof frames).
3. Perform hydrographic sampling along the JONSIS long term monitoring section in the northern North Sea.
4. Perform CTD stations at the ADCP moorings on the Fair Isle - Munken section.
5. Recover and download the data recovered from the four ADCP moorings deployed on the Fair Isle - Munken section in 2015.
6. Deploy four ADCP moorings at new positions on the Fair Isle - Munken section.
7. Perform hydrographic sampling along the long term monitoring Faroe-Shetland Channel sections, Fair Isle - Munken and Nolso - Flugga.
8. Take water samples for long-term storage at Fair Isle - Munken section stations FIM-01 and FIM-06.
9. Train one chemist in chemistry analysis at sea and one visitor (NOC) on oceanographic work.
10. Take water samples for bacterial analysis for Heriot Watt University at designated stations along the Fair Isle - Munken and Nolso - Flugga sections.
11. Take Day grab sediment samples for the University of Aberdeen at or near one Nolso - Flugga section station on the shelf.
12. Perform a number of additional hydrographic sections if time allows.
On sailing from Aberdeen Scotia will make passage towards the Moray Firth mooring deployment positions. On route, test deployments of the CTD and carousel will take place around the Buchan Deep, using the newly adopted deployment procedures (10 m soak). After the Moray Firth mooring deployments, Scotia will sail to the start of the JONSIS long term monitoring section (probably the western side) to commence sampling with the CTD and carousel water sampler. On completion of the JONSIS section, passage will be made to the start of the ADCP mooring locations on the Fair Isle - Munken (FIM) section, where the ADCP moorings will be recovered. The ADCP data will be downloaded and instruments and moorings refurbished on route to new deployment positions on the FIM section. ADCPs will be deployed at their new mooring locations and Scotia will then make her way to one end of the FIM section for standard monitoring (water samples and CTD profiles). On completion of the FIM section, Scotia will make way to one end of the Nolso-Flugga (NOL) section for standard hydrographic monitoring. During sampling of the FIM and NOL long term monitoring sections, grab samples and water samples will be taken for University of Aberdeen and Heriot Watt University collaborating projects, respectively, at designated stations. Any remaining time will be spent carrying out CTD sampling at hydrographic sections (e.g. the Cape Wrath - Faroe section or repeating the Fair Isle - Munken section).
|Chief scientist||Alejandro Gallego (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Buchan Deep. Moray Firth. Faroe-Shetland Channel.|
|Track charts||(00 MB)|