RV Corystes COR5/89
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1989-04-25 — 1989-05-09|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To collect sediments by grabbing and coring for physical, biological and chemical analysis at the Tyne sewage sludge disposal site.
2. To collect Modiolus and other epifauna off the Humber for biological and chemical analysis.
3. To examine the dispersion of liquid industrial waste using an oyster larvae bioassay.
4. To collect sediment samples from widely spaced stations for an assessment of regional geochemistry.
5. To collect sediments from various sewage sludge disposal grounds for a study of the distribution of pesticides and PCBs.
6. To examine the incidence of fish diseases off the North-East coast of England.
7. To collect samples from the Seaham area as part of a study of the dispersal and effects of mine waste.
8. To examine sand waves in the area of the Indefatigable Bank using side-scan sonar as part of a study of sediment transport in the area.
9. To collect samples of fish for chemical analysis from various areas along the east coast.
10. To examine flyash disposal grounds using the MAFF underwater video sledge.
|Chief scientist||Steven M Rowlatt (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.13 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 27|
|Occasional standard measurements||Description: Water quality survey|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Quantity: number of deployments = 8|
Description: heavy-duty rock dredges.
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 86|
Description: Day grab and Shipek grab.
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 5|
|Bottom photography||Description: motion picture|
|Long/short range side scan sonar|