RV Cirolana CIR2A/94
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1994-01-25 — 1994-02-07|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To sample and examine dab and other fish species for diseases.
2. To collect samples of dab livers for histochemistry, electron microscopy and biomarker tests.
3. To collect samples of gall bladders from selected fish species to evaluate the use of their protozoan parasites as pollution biomarkers.
4. To examine herring for evidence of Ichthyophoniosis.
5. To examine Lophius sp. for anomalies.
6. To examine Nephrops sp. for evidence of Haematodinium sp.
7. To collect samples of frozen dab, whiting and other commercial fish for the NMMP.
8. To collect biological samples from pre-spawning cod, plaice and sole.
9. To make a photographic record of benthos from each sampling area.
|Chief scientist||D Bucke (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Fish Disease Laboratory Weymouth)|
|Cruise report||(0.13 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||North Sea, English Channel, Celtic Deep, West and East, Irish Sea|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Biochemical measurements (eg lipids, amino acids)||Description: biomarkers from liver, gall bladders (protozoan parasites)|
|Zoobenthos||Description: photographs of trawl catches|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of specimens = 50|
Description: herring examoned for icthyphonus, None found.
|Demersal fish||Description: photographs of trawl catches|
|Demersal fish||Description: dab, whiting for NMMP; biological samples of prespawn cod/plaice/sole|
|Crustaceans||Description: examine nephrops, lophius for Haemotodinium|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: activity duration in days = 13|