RV Cirolana CIR5/94
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1994-04-19 — 1994-05-11|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. Survey plankton populations and hydrographic structure from the Malin Shelf to the North Channel for evidence of transport of copepods into the Irish Sea.
2. Test new Scanfish and Optical Plankton Counter (OPC) undulator systems and compare with Dutch electronic particle counter.
3. Deploy moored current meters for studies of water movements and production in the northern Irish Sea.
4. Sample fish eggs and larvae in relation to physical domains in the northern Irish Sea for growth studies.
5. Continuous monitoring of surface chlorophyll and regular measurement of column primary production in relation to modelling studies.
6. Observation and recording of live phytoplankton and grazing using high magnification video.
7. Collect copepod samples from the northern North Sea, west of Scotland, Malin Shelf and Irish Sea for studies of genetic origins.
|Chief scientist||John H Nichols (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.24 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||Irish Sea via northern North Sea and Malin Shelf|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 103|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 32|
|Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 29|
Description: undulating CTD tests (scanfish)
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 3|
Description: deployed northern Irish Sea
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 43|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 43|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of stations = 45|
|Ammonia||Quantity: number of stations = 43|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 38|
|Other contaminant measurements||Description: bulk fish sample for IAEA intercalibration reference sample|
|Other contaminant measurements||Description: concentration processes of radionuclides in food chain|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Primary productivity||Description: in relation to modelling studies|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Description: surfcae underway|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of measurements = 44|
Description: high magnification video
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of measurements = 44|
Description: grazing using video
|Eggs and larvae||Description: fish eggs/larvae|
|Demersal fish||Description: radiation effects of reproduction|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 11|
|Moorings, landers, buoys|
|Current meters||53° 43' 59" N 6° 2' 59" W — deploy c/m|
|Current meters||53° 49' 59" N 5° 32' 59" W — deploy c/m|
|Current meters||53° 45' 0" N 5° 13' 59" W — deploy c/m|