RV Clione CLI3A/71
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Clione (74CN)|
|Cruise period||1971-03-02 — 1971-03-18|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To determine the extent and size of the cod spawning grounds in the Bristol Channel and N W Irish Sea.
2. To tag cod on their spawning grounds.
3. To obtain blood samples, length-age measurements and fecundity estimates from the Bristol Channel and N W Irish Sea spawning stocks.
4. To determine the 'feeding overlap' between mature individuals of several commercially important species caught in single trawl hauls.
5. To collect length-age data on flatfish.
6. To release sea-bed drifters off Start Point in order to determine the residual current flow associated with the local plaice spawning.
7. To collect samples of cod pineal bodies for Mr V Bye.
8. To measure bottom temperatures and salinities in accordance with ICES recommendations.
|Chief scientist||R G Houghton (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.29 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 15|
Description: surface 13 bottom
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 482|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Dissolved organic matter (inc DOC)||Quantity: number of samples = 55|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 55|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 55|