RV Cefas Endeavour 17/10
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2010-11-03 — 2010-12-04|
|Port of departure||Portland Harbour, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
1. To carry out a trawl survey of the Irish Sea, Celtic Sea and western English Channel (ICES divisions VII a, e-j, Figure 1), using the modified GOV trawl with rockhopper ground gear on hard grounds and standard IBTS GOV trawl on fine grounds, as part of the west coast IBTS series and in support of the EU data regulations, to obtain information on:
(a) Distribution, size composition and relative abundance of fish, cephalopods, and benthic invertebrates
(b) Age-length distribution of commercial fish species for ICES WG input and biological studies
(c) Biological parameters of selected species
(d) Presence of litter
(e) Environmental parameters (including CTD profiles) at trawl stations
2. To record details of surface sightings of any marine mammals, sea turtles and pelagic fish, and record observations on jellyfish aggregations.
3. To tag and release specimens of spurdog Squalus acanthias, smooth-hound Mustelus spp., tope Galeorhinus galeus and greater-spotted dogfish Scyliorhinus stellaris.
4. To take photographs of maturity stages of brill Scophthalmus rhombus and turbot Psetta maxima.
5. To sample the epibenthos in ICES Divisions VIIe-h with 2 m beam trawl.
6. To undertake comparative trawl sampling with RV Corystes (22-26 November, 2010).
7. To assess the health state of trawled skates (Rajidae), tag and release samples of skate, and collect tissue samples of dorsal pectoral skin for histological studies, in support of Defra project MB5202.
8. To collect otoliths from selected fish species (M Etherton).
9. To collect fishery acoustics information (J van der Kooij).
10. To collect the valves of scallop Pecten maximus (D. Palmer, Cefas).
11. To collect tissue samples and otoliths from juvenile hake (20-25 cm length) (S. Tanner, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Lisbon).
12. To collect tissue samples from undulate ray, blonde ray and small-eyed ray (B. Herrero Maeso, Vigo) TBC.
13. To collect tissue samples from skates (Rajidae) (A Griffiths, MBA) TBC.
14. To collect tissues samples from brill and turbot for genetic analyses (S Vandamme).
Staff will travel down to Portland on 02 November and RV CEFAS ENDEAVOUR will sail from Portland on the afternoon tide on 03 November and proceed to Lyme Bay for a shakedown tow. CEFAS ENDEAVOUR will then continue steaming to the fishing stations in the western English Channel (modified GOV with rockhopper ground gear) or Celtic Sea (standard ground gear), depending on the weather. The vessel will dock in Cork on or about 18th November for a change of staff. After departing from Cork, RV CEFAS ENDEAVOUR will aim to complete the remaining trawl stations, including some comparative fishing with RV Corystes (22-26 November) before steaming to Lowestoft to dock on 04 December.
|Chief scientist||James Robert Ellis (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.05 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||Irish Sea, Celtic Sea, western English Channel.|
|Track charts||(0.04 MB)|