FRV Scotia 0511S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2011-05-07 — 2011-05-23|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
1. Deploy a current meter mooring off Stonehaven at the inner Long Term Monitoring position.
2. Perform hydrographic surveys along the JONSIS standard section in the northern North Sea.
3. Perform biological sampling along the JONSIS standard section and East Coast section using the Ocean Sampler.
4. Perform hydrographic surveys along the standard Faroe Shetland Channel sections.
5. Carry out deep sea coring at Nolso-Fugga station NOL-04.
6. Take samples for long-term storage at Fair Isle - Munken stations FIM-01 and FIM-06.
7. Service four ADCP moorings in the Faroe Shetland Channel.
8. Deploy a SAMS ADCP mooring on the Wyville-Thomson Ridge.
9. Perform CTD surveys across the Fair Isle channel and along the Shelf Edge as time allows.
Scotia sailed from Aberdeen at 0600 (all times are GMT) on Saturday 7 May to the Stonehaven LTM (Long Term Monitoring) position to deploy a current meter mooring. On route to the mooring position, muster and familiarisation exercises were carried out. The mooring (56 57.89'N 002 06.81'W) was deployed at 1021. Passage was then made for the start of the East Coast section for a biological survey using the Ocean Sampler. At the first station of this section, the CTD/Carousel instrument package was successfully tested (Stn. 127) before the survey took place.
Ocean Sampler sampling of the East Coast section commenced at 1715 on Saturday 7 May and was terminated on the last station due to bad weather at 0315 on Sunday 8 May. Passage was made to the start of the JONSIS section for sampling with the CTD/Carousel and Ocean Sampler. Due to bad weather on arrival at the first station, the work did not commence until 0514 on Monday 9 May. The JONSIS section was completed at 2024 on Monday 9 May (Stns. 128-139).
Following this Scotia made way to the Faroe-Shetland Channel ADCP mooring positions area to commence recovery and redeployment of the four ADCP
|Chief scientist||George Slesser (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.05 MB)|
|Cruise report||(0.02 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Northern North Sea, Faroe-Shetland Channel, Fair Isle|