RRS Challenger CH12A/75
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1975-08-26 — 1975-09-02|
|Port of departure||Dunstaffnage, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Dunstaffnage, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The cruise had 6 objectives.
1. Recovery and relaying of a current meter mooring at 57N 9W.
2. Working the hydrographic sections to Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) and Rockall and Rockall-Malin Head (Rosemary Bank to St Kilda also worked due to favourable conditions).
3. Using a submersible pump and autoanalyser for nutrient determinations along these sections.
4. Collecting Shipek grab samples of shelf sediments for Aberystwyth University.
5. Collecting large volume water samples for radio-caesium analysis by the Fisheries Radiobiological Laboratory.
6. Transmitting temperature profiles to the Met Office at Bracknell based on STD traces.
All objectives were successfully achieved.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.12 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Malin Shelf, Rockall, Anton Dohrn Seamount|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 21|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
Description: surface water samples for radio-caesium analysis.
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 30|
Description: obtained using Shipek grab.