RV Celtic Voyager CV13019
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Celtic Voyager (45CV)|
|Cruise period||2013-08-28 — 2013-09-06|
|Port of departure||Galway, Ireland|
|Port of return||Galway, Ireland|
|Objectives||Since 2003 the Marine Institute have carried UWTV surveys of the Irish Sea Nephrops grounds in co-operation with the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development Northern Ireland. Since 2006 the Marine Institute have carried UWTV surveys of the Celtic Sea Nephrops grounds which includes the Smalls and Labadie Nephrops grounds. The results of the survey series were used to describe the abundance, distribution and estimate the biomass of Nephrops in both the Western Irish Sea and Celtic Sea.
1. Technology and protocol transfer between Marine Institute (Ireland) and Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute, Northern Ireland (AFBI) during Irish Sea survey operations.
2. To obtain 2013 quality assured estimates of Nephrops burrow densities from a randomised isometric grid of UWTV stations at 4.5 nautical mile spacing on the Western Irish Sea Nephrops ground.
3. To obtain 2013 quality assured estimates of Nephrops burrow densities from other areas in the Celtic Sea or west coast not all ready achieved in 2013.
4. To collect ancillary information from the UWTV footage collected at each station such as the occurrence of sea-pens, other macro-benthos and fish species and trawl marks on the sea bed.
5. To collect oceanographic data using a sledge mounted CTD.
6. To satisfy the requirements of the Irish National programme under the Data collection regulation EC Regulation 1543/2000.
|Chief scientist||Jennifer Doyle (Marine Institute Galway)|
|Project||Irish Sea and Celtic Sea UWTV Survey|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|