RV Corella 6/76
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corella (74CX)|
|Cruise period||1976-04-23 — 1976-05-03|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. Investigate the distribution and abundance of planktonic fish eggs
and larvae, zooplankton predators and competitors and the phytoplankton
using the Lowestoft multi-purpose plankton sampler. Including replicate hauls for variance estimates.
2. Monitor sub-surface water continuously along the ship's track for
temperature, salinity, transparency and chlorophyll 'a'.
3. Collect water samples from the pump for salinity and nutrient analyses, calibrate the fluororneter with chlorophyll ' a ' extracts; measure phaeophytin, and identify the phytoplankton contribution to chlorophyll 'a' fluorescence, including the preparation of slides for electron microscope examination of the micro flagellates.
4. Carry out hauls with a frame net to sample young fish.
5. Use the changing net sampler to investigate the vertical distribution of fish larvae and other zooplankton, alternating with water bottle casts for phytoplankton, chlorophyll 'a' and phaeophytin, in relation to temperature and light penetration with the water column over a 26-hour period.
6. Collect samples of fish for stomach content analysis using the young gadoid midwater trawl.
7. Collect live plankton as required.
8. Collect fish samples (frozen) for metal analysis.
|Chief scientist||Derek Harding (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.32 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: track kilometres = 1940|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 5|
Description: surface only; 86 T surface
|Transparency (eg transmissometer)||Quantity: track kilometres = 1940.896|
|Optics (eg underwater light levels)||Quantity: number of profiles = 3|
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 14|
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of observations = 118|
Description: sea and swell
|Oxygen||Quantity: track kilometres = 1940.896|
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of samples = 91|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of samples = 91|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of samples = 91|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of samples = 91|
|pH||Quantity: track kilometres = 1940.896|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: track kilometres = 1940.896|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 111|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 106|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of samples = 106|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 12|
|Incident radiation||Quantity: activity duration in days = 9|
Description: (quanta meter,solarimeter)