FRV Scotia 0916S
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2016-06-26 — 2016-07-15|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
1. To conduct an acoustic survey to estimate the abundance and distribution of herring in the north western North Sea and north of Scotland between 58°30'-62°N and from the shelf edge to 2°E, excluding Faroese waters. In addition acoustic transects will be carried out in Moray Firth to estimate abundance of herring and sprat.
2. To obtain biological samples for echosounder trace identification using a pelagic trawl.
3. To obtain samples of herring (and sprat) for biological analysis, including age, length, weight, sex, maturity, ichthyophonus infection and stock identity for herring caught west of 4 °W (photos for morphometric stock ID analysis and tissue samples for genetic analysis).
4. To test feasibility of using GoPro cameras mounted in the net and on a dropframe to further aid in species identification in the echogram scrutiny process.
5. To obtain hydrographic data for comparison with the horizontal and vertical distribution of herring (and sprat).
|Chief scientist||Susan M Lusseau (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.17 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Northwestern North Sea and north of Scotland between 58 30 - 62 00N and from the shelf edge to 02 00E, excluding Faroese waters.|
|Track charts||(0.16 MB)|