FRV Scotia 0916S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2016-06-25 — 2016-07-15|
|Port of departure||Scrabster, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
1. Conduct an acoustic survey to estimate the abundance and distribution of herring in the north western North Sea and north of Scotland between 58º30’-62ºN and from the shelf edge to 2ºE, excluding Faroese waters. Acoustic transects will be carried out in Moray Firth to estimate abundance of herring and sprat.
2. Obtain biological samples for echosounder trace identification using a pelagic trawl.
3. Obtain samples of herring and sprat for biological analysis, including age, length, weight, sex, maturity, ichthyophonus infection and stock identity for herring caught west of 4W.
4. Test feasibility of using GoPro cameras mounted in the net and on a dropframe to further aid in species identification in the echogram scrutiny process.
5. Obtain hydrographic data for comparison with the horizontal and vertical distribution of herring and sprat.
Narrative in attached cruise report.
|Chief scientist||Susan M Lusseau (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.17 MB)|
|Cruise report||(0.06 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Northwestern North Sea and north of Scotland between 58 30 - 62 00N and from the shelf edge to 02 00E, excluding Faroese waters.|
|Track charts||(0.16 MB)|