FRV Alba Na Mara 1216A (1316A)
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Alba Na Mara (74NM)|
|Cruise identifier||1216A (1316A)|
|Cruise period||2016-07-12 — 2016-07-22|
|Port of departure||Fraserburgh, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Fraserburgh, United Kingdom|
1. Use the ship board multi-beam system to image the seabed prior to ADCP deployments.
2. Deploy and recover up to six ADCP moorings in the Falls of Wareness EMEC site.
3. Deploy three moorings in Westray Firth on bed frames (to be left behind).
4. VM-ADCP transect work in Hoy Sound.
5. CTD grid in Hoy Sound.
6. Deploy a single string mooring in the Pentland Firth.
7. Perform VMADCP transect work in the Inner Sound of Stroma during a flood tide.
8. Use the multi-beam system to image the cables on the bed in the Inner Sound of Stroma.
9. Deploy an ADCP bed frame in the inner sound of Stroma.
On sailing from Fraserburgh and after all drills, Alba will make passage to the Fall of Warness EMEC site. The following three to four days will be spent in the EMEC test centre deploying and recovering ADCP moorings on bed frames. A port call will be made on the evening of 13 July to exchange scientific staff and pickup new ADPC bed frames.
During 17-18 July the vessel will work slightly further north in Westray Firth deploying three ADCP bed frame moorings. A port call will be made in Kirkwall on the evening of 17 July to exchange scientific staff and pickup an ADPC bed frame. The vessel will then sail to Hoy Sound on 18 July and conduct VM-ADCP and CTD survey work.
On 20 July Alba will sail to the Pentland Firth, deploy a single string mooring and continue to the Inner Sound of Stroma. The remaining time will be spent in Inner Sound of Stroma before returning to Fraserburgh for the evening of 21 July. The vessel will be unloaded on 22 July with all equipment and staff returning to the laboratory.
Much of this survey is collaborative work with the University of Edinburgh (UoE), ICIT, and the University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI).
|Chief scientist||Rory O'Hara Murray (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.36 MB)|
|Specific||Orkney and Pentland Firth|