FRV Scotia 0618S
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2018-05-02 — 2018-05-12|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
1. Perform hydrographic sampling along the AlterEco monitoring section in the northern North Sea, which will be sampled on all MSS oceanographic surveys in 2018.
2. Perform hydrographic sampling along the JONSIS long term monitoring section in the northern North Sea.
3. Recover, download and re-deploy an ADCP mooring deployed in a trawl-proof frame on the JONSIS section (the 'AlterEco mooring', AECO).
4. Recover and download the data from one ADCP mooring deployed on Faroe-Shetland Channel Faroe - Cape Wrath (FCW/NWZ) section, in the vicinity of the Wyville-Thomson Ridge (NWZE).
5. Recover, download and re-deploy one ADCP mooring at a position on Fair Isle - Munken (FIM/NWS) section.
6. Take surface water samples at a suitable location in the Faroe Shetland Channel for bacterial analysis and experimentation (HWU).
7. Perform hydrographic sampling along the long term monitoring Faroe-Shetland Channel Nolso - Flugga (NOL/NWE) section.
8. Recover, download and re-deploy two ADCP moorings at positions on Faroe-Shetland Channel Nolso - Flugga section.
9. Take water samples for long term storage on Fair Isle - Munken or Nolso - Flugga section stations.
10. Perform hydrographic sampling along the long term monitoring Faroe-Shetland Channel Fair Isle - Munken (FIM/NWS) section.
11. Run the thermosalinograph throughout the survey.
12. Perform hydrographic sampling in the vicinity of a number of ADCP moorings in order to calibrate moored equipment: CTD dips at selected locations with equipment (SB56 NanoCAT and/or SB57 MicroCAT) attached to carousel.
13. If sheltering in a suitable location around Shetland due to bad weather, conduct VMADCP/CTD work in Shetland (e.g. Yell Sound) and short-term mooring deployment and recovery.
14. If weather/time permits, perform fine scale VMADCP/CTD survey work on the JONSIS line (around 59° 16.96' N, 001° 15.26' W).
15. If weather/time permits, perform VMADCP/CTD survey work in the Moray Firth and/or Aberdeen Bay.
|Chief scientist||Alejandro Gallego (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.13 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Northern North Sea. Faroe-Shetland Channel.|