RV Cirolana CIR4/78
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1978-03-29 — 1978-04-28|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To service three current meter stations and to lay additional stations off the Rivers Tees and Tyne.
2. To carry out an acoustic survey for blue whiting from Shetland to Porcupine Bank.
3. To launch a satellite buoy north of Porcupine Bank.
4. To study the spawning distribution of mackerel and blue whiting by trawling and plankton sampling over 24 hour periods.
5. To measure incubatiqn rates of mackerel eggs from 15-25degreesC.
6. To collect selected tissues from all fish species caught for
chemical and histological examination.
7. To collect 25 1 water samples from selected station positions for
analysis by FRL.
|Chief scientist||Stephen J Lockwood (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.68 MB)|
Bay of Biscay
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: T only|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 5|
Description: servicing semi-permanent moorings
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 2000|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 50|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of samples = 27|
Description: monitoring,population structures,bottom and mid-water trawl