RRS Challenger CH7/79
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1979-05-10 — 1979-05-23|
|Port of departure||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The objectives of this cruise were:
(1) Service the current meter mooring at 57N, 9W and deploy moorings at three stations on the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount section. Accomplished, but one recovered current meter has failed due to leakage.
(2) Service IOS moorings in the Rockall Channel. Two of four moorings were recovered.
(3) Work the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) CTD section. Only part of the section from the seamount eastwards could be worked due to time lost through mooring recovery problems.
(4) Work additional CTD sections in the northern Rockall Channel. A section across the Cirolana Deep was started but not finished due to technical problems with the CTD.
(5) Collect large-volume surface water sample for radiocaesium analysis from Scottish shelf stations. Accomplished with CTD profiles on all but one station.
(6) Obtain epibenthic sled samples at the SMBA permanent station (54° 40 min N, 12° 16 min W). Not possible due to poor weather and time lost through mooring recovery problems.
(7) Obtain deep plankton samples at the SMBA permanent section using the rectangular mid-water trawl. Not possible due to poor weather and time lost through mooring recovery problems.
(8) Obtain Assagiz trawl samples between the Anton Dohrn Seamount and the St Kilda continental slope. One good sample was obtained.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.26 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 40|
Description: S surface only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 22|
Description: salinity noisy
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
Description: numbers of meters on the 4 SMBA stations are 4,4,4 and 2, respectively
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 5|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
Description: water samples for radio-caesium monitoring.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 1|
Description: agassiz trawl haul.