RV Cirolana CIR10/79
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1979-10-31 — 1979-11-20|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out an acoustic survey of the area of the Cornish winter mackerel fishery.
2. To carry out a combined fishing/acoustic survey aimed at determining the abundance of 0-group mackerel and 0-group scad in the general areas of Celtic Sea, SW Ireland and North Biscay.
3. To carry out target strength measurements on mackerel if time and opportunity permit.
4. To obtain mackerel samples to provide ALK data for the three areas Western Celtic Sea, West of Ireland (N of 51 degrees 30' N) and Bay of Biscay (S of 48 degrees 00' N).
5. To obtain samples of scad to provide ALK data.
6. To obtain samples of I-group mackerel from different parts of the south and western area for Mr Mackenzie (DAFS).
7. To obtain samples of mackerel blood for blood protein studies at University of East Anglia (Dr Greenwood).
8. (Added after publication of cruise programme). To carry out one oceanographic section (and if possible more) of XBT casts in the area of upwelling associated with the edge of the continental shelf west of the Brittany peninsula.
|Chief scientist||B C Bedford (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.48 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: T only|
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 18|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 18|
Description: surface S only
|Biology and fisheries|