RV Cirolana CIR5/82
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1982-05-14 — 1982-06-03|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To study the distribution of Np and Tc in seawater around the British coast and to obtain samples of suspended particulate matter to enable Kd's to be determined for both elements at selected sites.
2. To carry out speciation studies on Pu, Am, Cm, Np, and Tc in seawater with particular emphasis on comparing results from the Cap de la Hague and Windscale areas.
3. To collect a small number of samples for radiocaesium analysis for Mr Jefferies in selected areas. Samples will also be collected by the observer from the Nuclear Energy Board, Dublin, chiefly in the Western Irish Sea.
4. To obtain samples for radioantimony and Pu analysis in the southern North Sea and English Channel for the Commissariat a l'Energie Atomique, Republique Francaise.
5. To samples plankton in the Cap de la Hague and Windscale areas for radionuclide analysis.
6. To obtain core sampes at a number of stations in the Irish Sea for comparability studies.
7. To squeeze out the interstitial water from core sections at selected sites so that the physico-chemical conditions and the transuranic element concentrations may be compared.
8. To investigate bioturbation in Irish Sea sediments by separating and identifying the burrowing animal population in the cores collected.
All the aims were successfully completed. In addition to the specified aims of the cruise a continuous record of the gamma activity was obtained.
|Chief scientist||B R Harvey (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.36 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
Bay of Biscay
|Specific||English Channel/ Irish Sea/Shetlands|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 86|
Description: S only
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 110|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 6|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 6|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 45|