1. To carry out an acoustic survey for sprat, as part of an ICES coordinated programme, in the Thames Estuary, Southern Bight, Wash and west central North Sea, north to 54º 30'N and offshore to 4º 30' E.
2. To sample any major concentrations found with a mid-water trawl and plot their distribuions in finer detail.
3. To carry out in situ target strength measurements on sprat using the narrow transducer beam mode.
4. To undertake intership calibration runs with RV EXPLORER, time and weather permitting.
5. To collect species of fish for the fish identification courses.
P O Johnson (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)
Surface measurements underway (T,S)
Description: Continuous measurements over the whole survey.
Biology and fisheries
Quantity: number of hauls = 7 Description: midwater trawl hauls.