RRS Frederick Russell FR12/82 (C/3/82)
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Frederick Russell (74GG)|
|Cruise identifier||FR12/82 (C/3/82)|
|Cruise period||1982-08-16 — 1982-08-27|
|Port of departure||Plymouth, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Plymouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||To measure the impact that the common herbivorous copepod Calanus helgolandicus makes on the level of primary production on shelf seas and to ascertain the flow of carbon through this secondary trophic level.
1) To measure in situ primary production and light in the water column at Station CS2.
2) To measure the abundance and vertical distribution of phytoplankton, bacteria and flagellates.
3) To measure the release of dissolved organic matter by phytoplankton and the concomitant uptake by bacteria.
4) To partition primary production into different size classes of phytoplankton.
5) To determine the vertical distribution, abundance and diel migration of all development stages of Calanus helgolandicus (eggs - adult).
6) To obtain living material for length/dry weight, gut contents, carbon, nitrogen, ash content, calorific value and lipid reserve.
7) To measure the feeding rate (ingestion) of Calanus on natural particulates from three selected depth strata under simulated ambient conditions.
8) To measure the assimilation rate and absorption efficiency by Calanus using radioactive tracer and gut enzyme analysis techniques.
9) To ascertain the horizontal and vertical structure of the biological and physical environment around CS2.
10) To contribute towards a seasonal study of phytoplankton and zooplankton at Station A1.
|Chief scientist||Ian Joint (Institute of Marine Environmental Research, Plymouth)|
|Cruise report||(0.11 MB)|
|Specific||Station CS2 (50.5N, 7W)|
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 25|
|Transparency (eg transmissometer)||Quantity: number of profiles = 2|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of samples = 50|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Primary productivity||Quantity: number of experiments = 10|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of samples = 90|
|Particulate organic matter (inc POC, PON)||Quantity: number of samples = 180|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 90|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of hauls = 17|
Description: LHPR hauls: 11 with coase and fine nets, 6 with just coarse. Samples for abundance, biomass, energy transfers.
|Pelagic bacteria/micro-organisms||Quantity: number of samples = 90|
|Data held at BODC|
|185 General station with STD/bottles/additional instruments||Chlorophyll pigment concentrations in water bodies|
Salinity of the water column
Temperature of the water column
Phaeopigment concentrations in the water column