RRS Challenger CH11/83
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1983-08-10 — 1983-08-24|
|Port of departure||Dunstaffnage, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Dunstaffnage, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The objectives of this cruise were:
(1) To service the current meter moorings at station M (Rockall Channel), Y (Tiree Passage) and J (Sound of Jura).
(2) To collect radiocaesium samples with CTD profiles on shelf sections from Mull of Galloway in the south to the Butt of Lewis in the north. Eleven sections worked.
(3) To sample chlorophyll and nutrients across the shelf and the slope to the west of the Hebrides. Three sections sampled plus continuous underway fluorometer.
(4) To service two UCNW shelf moorings and recover three more. Accomplished.
(5) To relocate current meter moorings and the Dundee satellite-interrogated temperature buoy (Kraksat).on the Hebridean Slope section west of South Uist to terrain less suited to fishing. Three of five current meter moorings plus Krakstat relocated.
(6) To recover an IOS Bidston tide gauge from mooring M in the Rockall Channel. Accomplished.
(7) To observe seabirds around the Hebrides. Accomplished.
(8) To work the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) CTD section. Accomplished.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.31 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||West of Scotland|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of samples = 12|
Description: S surface only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 107|
Description: noisy salinity
|Subsurface temperature measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 2|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of recoveries = 32|
Description: no. of c.ms recovered;75 days
|Other physical oceanographic measurements|
|Ammonia||Quantity: number of stations = 5|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 87|
|Other chemical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of stations = 19|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of stations = 36|