RRS Discovery D149
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Discovery (74E3)|
|Cruise period||1984-06-15 — 1984-07-10|
|Port of departure||Funchal, Portugal|
|Port of return||North Shields, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To obtain sediment and pore water samples from five designated stations within the study area.
2. To supplement this by deeper sampling at the same station using the IOS piston corer.
3. To make shipboard analytical studies on this material in order to define the chemical (redox) state of the sedimentary environment, and its variation with depth and position within the study area. To return samples for laboratory study.
4. To test the modified PUPPI and to make a long term deployment of this device.
5. An attempt to obtain sediment from a site just north of the study area where manganese incrustations have been reported.
6. Surficial sediment dissolved oxygen profiles in the abyssal Atlantic off the Porcupine Sea Bight. This relates to existing IOS biological studies in this area and to a need to obtain reference data to compare with the GME information.
|Chief scientist||T Roger S Wilson (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.49 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Specific||Madeira Abyssal Plain|
|Routine standard measurements|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 20|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: number of samples = 160|
Description: pore waters