RV Cirolana CIR7A/86
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1986-08-14 — 1986-08-28|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard Granton trawl in order to obtain information on:
(i) Distribution and abundance of all fish species caught by the trawl.
(ii) Length and age distributions of commercially important species.
(iii) Distribution of fish in relation to the environment.
(iv) Distribution and abundance of macro benthos.
(v) Gadoid interactions through collections of stomachs from cod, whiting and saithe for the ICES programme on Stomach analysis.
(vi) Collection of herring stomachs for MAFF/ICES programme on stomach analysis.
(vii) Distribution of caesium in fish flesh trawl samples of selected commercial fish and invertebrates to be collected for analysis at Lowestoft.
2. Collect water samples for caesium analysis from the pumped water supply and using NISKIN bottles.
3. Sample the environment using electronic sensors in the pumped water supply and using an instrument frame or vertical sampling.
4. Sample near bottom plankton using a small net mounted on the headline of the trawl.
5. All biological data will be entered on the computer to create a data base for the cruise and to summarise the results before the cruise ends.
6. All electronic instruments will be "data-logged" and programmes used to extract and present results in graphic form.
7. Collect whiting samples for a research project on Learneocera branchialis based at Kings College, London.
8. Release sea surface drifters for Turbot larvae project off the NE coast of England.
9. Ad hoc samples of fish, fish blood and benthos.
|Chief scientist||John H Nichols (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.21 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 87|
|Oxygen||Quantity: number of stations = 87|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of stations = 87|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 87|