RRS Challenger CH97
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1992-09-25 — 1992-10-06|
|Port of departure||Oban, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Oban, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To collect CTD profiles and large volume water samples at standard positions between the Sound of Mull and the shelf edge West of Barra for radiocaesium studies.
2. To service the DML current meter mooring in the Tiree Passage.
3. To work the CTD stations of the Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) section between the shelf-edge and Rockall to continue the Rockall Trough time series as a contribution to WOCE goal 2.
4. To work the Rockall to Malin Head CTD section for further investigation of recent water mass changes west of Britain.
5. To work shelf CTD sections in the Sea of the Hebrides and the North Channel as time permits.
6. To collect large volume water samples west of the Hebrides and samples for iodine concentration determination.
|Chief scientist||Anton Edwards (Dunstaffnage Marine Laboratory)|
|Coordinating body||WOCE IPO|
|Cruise report||(0.86 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||NE Atlantic and Scottish continental shelf, Rockall Trough/Bank, Sea of the Hebrides, North Channel, Firth of Clyde|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 118|
Description: oxygens rejected due to lack of calibration
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 1|
Description: 2 cms
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 14|
Description: samples for thorium analysis
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
Description: Radiocaesium sampling, Mull - shelf-edge
|Biology and fisheries|
|Benthic bacteria/micro-organisms||Quantity: number of cores = 6|
Description: Craib corer samples
|Moorings, landers, buoys|
|Subsurface temperature measurements||57° 16' 0" N 10° 22' 0" W — 50m thermistor chain at ca.400m in soundings of 2236m. Deployed 27 Sept.|
|Current meters||56° 37' 0" N 6° 24' 0" W — Mooring serviced 25 Sept. 2 cms at 11m & 22m above seabed, water depth 42m|
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||57° 16' 0" N 10° 22' 0" W — SeaCat temperature/salinity logger, attached to thermistor chain|