RV Cirolana CIR9A/93
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1993-09-14 — 1993-09-29|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To calibrate the FSI ICTD (high precision deep water) and FSI MCTD (self recording) in a variety of conditions (AE0504A0 and AE0207A0).
2. To conduct an intercomparison of the portable Jabsco pump and the ships clean saltwater supply for long lived U/Th and Cs radionuclides (95060000 and AE0114A0).
3. To reoccupy the TH19 anchor station site at the entrance to Morecambe Bay (54º 01.15' N, 03º 32.41' W) to compare spring and neaps tidal resuspension using the Tetrapod, Quadrapod and hourly CTD casts for 238U/234Th disequilibrium studies (AE0207A0; AE0118A0).
4. To test the new Benthic Acoustic Stress Sensor (BASS) on the Tetrapod (AE0207A0).
5. To test deploy the new Minipod and new C-T-MOBS logger (if available) (AE0207A0). The Minipod and C-T-MOBS logger were unavailable.
6. To collect sediment samples from the Lune Deep and conduct an anchor station in Lancaster sound, Morecambe Bay for calibration of the Morecambe Bay Model (AE0127B0) if time permits.
7. To deploy 3 current meters in the North Channel as part of the North Channel exchanges STA and conduct a CTD section along the line of moorings (AE0128B0).
8. To deploy the Tetrapod, Quadrapod and guard buoys for a long deployment at TH19, off Morecambe Bay. To be recovered on Cirolana 11/93 early in December (AE0207A0).
9. To conduct a sediment survey from the Isle of Man to Liverpool Bay for long lived natural radionuclides (AE0118A0) - if time permits.
10. To undertake a Sidescan Survey of the Barrow-in-Furness dredge disposal site (AE0201C0).
|Chief scientist||Jonathon Mark Rees (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.12 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Specific||North channel, E Irish Sea|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 20|
Description: sites sampled for radionuclides
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: Sediment survey|
|Long/short range side scan sonar|
|Moorings, landers, buoys|
|Current meters||54° 37' 59" N 5° 22' 0" W — deployed|
|Current meters||54° 36' 0" N 5° 27' 0" W — deployed|
|Current meters||54° 1' 0" N 3° 31' 59" W — near bed current meters deployed|
|Current meters||54° 40' 59" N 5° 15' 0" W — deployed|