RV Cirolana CIR10/93
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1993-10-18 — 1993-11-15|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard GOV trawl in order to obtain information on:
(a) the distribution and abundance of all fish species.
(b) the length and age distribution of commercially important species.
(c) the distribution of fish in relation to their environment.
(d) the distribution of macrobenthos and anthropogenic debris.
2. To collect surface and bottom temperature and salinity data using reversing bottles.
3. To collect material for fish identification courses.
4. To continously monitor surface temperature and salinity.
5. To carry out trials with the Torry Research Station image analysis equipment for fish identification.
6. To collect samples of herring (Clupea harengus) for the study of Ichthyophonus disease.
7. To collect biological data from angler fish (Lophius spp.), pollack (Pollachius pollachius), tusk (Brosme brosme), catfish (Anarhichus lupus), hake (Merluccius merluccius), poor cod (Trisopterus minutus) and bib (Trisopterus luscus).
8. To provide fish samples for contaminant analysis as part of of the National Monitoring Plan. (A Franklin).
9. To collect fish food.
10. To collect otoliths and gonads from four-bearded rockling (Rhinonemus cimbrius) for histological studies.
11. To carry out beam trawl stations for benthos in the central North Sea. (H Rees)
12. To collect whiting (Merlangius merlangus) tissue samples for the EC Molecular Genetics Programme. (D Thompson).
13. To carry out trials of the electronic measuring boards under field conditions.
|Chief scientist||David Thompson (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.14 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: activity duration in days = 34|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 72|
Description: top & bottom
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 72|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: Benthos survey|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of samples = 7|
Description: samples for contaminant analysis