RRS Challenger CH110
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1994-03-10 — 1994-03-20|
|Port of departure||Campbeltown, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Oban, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To work the CTD stations of the Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) section, between the shelf-edge and Rockall to continue the Rockall Trough time-series as a UK contribution to WOCE Goal 2.
2. To recover and redeploy a temperature-salinity recorder and thermistor chain at station M of the Anton Dohrn Section.
3. To service the DML current meter mooring in the Tiree Passage.
4. To sample benthos at the SAMS Permanent Station (54 30'N, 12 16'W) and at station M using the epibenthic sled and the Agassiz trawl.
5. To collect a suite of physical, nutrient and biological profiles and samples at the shelf-edge west of Barra as part of the LOIS pilot studies and to attempt box-coring if time and weather permits.
6. To work the shelf-edge - Sound of Mull CTD section, with nutrient and chlorophyll sampling.
7. To work the PROFILE sampling stations around the Arran deep, as time permits.
8. To collect clean oceanic water for the Culture Collection.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Dunstaffnage Marine Laboratory)|
|Coordinating body||IOC/WMO-JRC in UK/NERC PML/CEC MAST Programme|
|Cruise report||(0.33 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||NE Atlantic, Rockall Trough, W. Scottish Shelf, Firth of Clyde|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 47|
Description: Oxygen received, but rejected
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 1|
Description: 2 current meters on one mooring
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 37|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 37|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of stations = 37|
|Ammonia||Quantity: number of stations = 37|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 37|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of stations = 37|
Description: on CTD
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 1|
Description: Agassiz trawl, Decapod samples for visual adaptation studies
|Moorings, landers, buoys|
|Current meters||56° 37' 59" N 6° 24' 0" W — Mooring serviced 14 Mar. 2 Aanderaa current meters at 26m & 36m, sounding 46m|