RRS Challenger CH114
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1994-08-15 — 1994-08-29|
|Port of departure||Mallaig, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Oban, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To work the CTD stations of the Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) section, between the shelf-edge and Rockall to continue the Rockall Trough time-series as a UK contribution to WOCE Goal 2.
2. To recover and possibly redeploy a temperature-salinity recorder and thermistor chain at station M of the Anton Dohrn section.
3. To service the DML current meter mooring in the Tiree Passage.
4. To obtain 137Cs, 234Th and 210Pb samples at CTD stations in the Sea of Hebrides for the DML/SURRC LOIS Special Topic.
5. To sample benthos at the SMBA Permanent Station (54º 40'N, 12º 16'W) using the epibenthic sled.
6. To collect a suite of physical, nutrient and biological profiles and samples, including coring, at the shelf-edge.
7. To obtain sulphate reduction and oxygen uptake measurements on multiple corer samples taken across the shelf edge on the LOIS line.
8. To sample benthos using the epibenthic sled on the 2500m contour and also at Station M and on the slope as time and weather permit.
9. To test the Strathclyde University multi-parameter instrument.
10. To collect samples for the EC MAST II Genetic variations in deep sea populations project.
|Chief scientist||Joseph M Graham (Dunstaffnage Marine Laboratory)|
|Coordinating body||WOCE SSG/NERC|
|Cruise report||(0.74 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||NE Atlantic, cont. Shelf, Rockall Trough, LOIS Box, 5610N;840W-5650N;1010W|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of profiles = 106|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 1|
Description: 2 current meters serviced on one mooring
|Oxygen||Quantity: number of profiles = 106|
Description: CTD sensor Received, ICES, but rejected
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 70|
|Ammonia||Quantity: number of stations = 70|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 70|
|Isotopes||Quantity: number of samples = 7|
Description: surface water samples for 137Cs and 234Th
|Isotopes||Quantity: number of cores = 2|
|Isotopes||Quantity: number of profiles = 5|
Description: mid and bottom water samples for 137Cs and 234Th
|Other chemical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of cores = 5|
Description: sediment samples for sulphate reduction
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of stations = 70|
Description: Extracted chlorophyll on water samples
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of profiles = 106|
Description: CTD sensor
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 3|
Description: epibenthic sledge
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 2|
Description: using Sholkovich corer
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of deployments = 5|
|Moorings, landers, buoys|
|Subsurface temperature measurements||56° 16' 59" N 10° 25' 0" W — Rec. 170894;thermistor chain,c,t,p logger at 500m/2220m sounding|
|Current meters||56° 37' 0" N 6° 24' 0" W — Mooring serv.150894, 2 current meters (23m, 33m), 48m sounding|