RV Cirolana CIR7/95
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1995-08-07 — 1995-09-07|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard GOV trawl in order to obtain information on:
(a) Distribution and abundance of all fish species.
(b) Length and age distribution of commercially important species.
(c) Distribution of fish in relation to their environment.
(d) Distribution of macrobenthos and anthropogenic debris.
(e) Surface and bottom temperature and salinity data using reversing bottles.
2. To carry out a full-scale trial of length and biological data recording using the electronic data capture system.
3. To collect material for fish identification courses. (T Watson)
4. To collect all hake under 30cm for otolith structure studies. (T Watson)
5. To provide fish samples for contaminant analysis. (A Franklin, Burnham)
6. To inspect herring (Clupea harengus) for the presence of Ichthyophonus and to preserve any infected fish. (S Feist, Weymouth)
7. To preserve material from diseased fish (S Feist, Weymouth). No unusual occurrences of diseased fish were noted as worthy of preservation.
8. To collect biological data from Myoxocephalus scorpius (Bull rout), Taurulus bubalis (Sea scorpion) and Callionymus Iyra (common dragonet). (IBTS)
9. To trial TRS equipment for fish identification and sorting. (TRS)
10. To collect haddock tissue samples. (A Child, Conwy)
11. To collect samples of squid.
12. Following completion of the grid, if time permits to replicate a random selection of stations to estimate within-survey variance.
|Chief scientist||C Timothy Macer (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.12 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 76|
Description: top & & bottom
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 76|
Description: GOV trawl